12th Annual Residential Conference Downloads 2009
SEN - What's New?
2009's conference, sponsored by Iansyst, was a great success again. Please click on the links below to download presentations from the keynote speakers and workshop presenters.
"Thanks so much for the great conference, best I have been to for years."
"Many thanks for the excellent conference - I have been on 3 of them now and each one has been better than the last!"
"I just wanted to say how much I loved and learned from the conference this weekend. Hopefully my school will let me go next year!"
"Thank you once again for a superb conference. I felt that you had a good balance of speakers this year - I came out of each session with a sense of enthusiasm and feeling challenged to improve certain aspects of my teaching and/or role as SENCo.
Thank you very much for all your hard work. It is appreciated!!!"
"I dashed off on Saturday before saying thank you for a most enjoyable and informative Learning Works conference. It was my first one but I had signed up after several very positive recommendations – and I was not disappointed. I look forward to the next one!"
Keynote: Working Memory and Learning– Prof Susan Gathercole, Centre for Working Memory and Learning, York University
1. Identifying and supporting children with working memory problems - Prof Susan Gathercole
2. Ever Ready! How to prepare for Independent Schools Inspection - Maria Landy, Independent School Improvement Consultant
3. Why can't they learn? Rising to the challenge: Mind over matter - Dr Geraldine Price, Independent Consultant
SENCo Writing Corner:
5. Improving reading and writing (senior) - Stuart Lucas, Loretto
6. Including SEN pupils in an independent school - Helen James, British School of Paris
Keynote: "Rasing achievement through the Dyslexia Aware Classroom" - How to help individuals without always giving individual help - Neil Mackay, Chief Executive, Action Dyslexia
1. Writing Skills for reluctant writers - helping them "get it down on paper" - Neil Mackay, Chief Executive, Action Dyslexia
2. Dyspraxia -What it is and how to help - Sian Wilson Paediatric OT, The Hope Centre
4. Practical thinking for working with Asperger's - Alice Stobart, Manager if Education Support Project, National Autistic Society
5. Specialist software to support dyslexic learners in secondary classrooms - & Notes - Sharon Goldie, Educational Consultant, Iansyst
SENCo Corner Exchange:
6. How to do a G&T register - Susanne Gair, Bootham School
7. If only (s)he would listen! Rachel Copeland, Sevenoaks Prep School
8. What works! - Judy Cochand, Forres Sandle Manor School
National Update - Fil Came, Director, Learning Works
- Learning Works staff very welcoming and were willing and able to give us information and guide us into the right room at the right time.Able Gifted and Talented Conference
- The course was, as ever, fantastic! I have come back to school buzzing with ideas and one day in some are already being implemented.Annual SEND Residential Conference
- Fil shows such passion and enthusiasm for your subject. I felt today's presentation was wonderful. It was so relevant to our classroom.Dyscalculia & MLD Tour with Fil Came
- This is one of the best short courses I have attended in terms of meeting its stated aims and having material that accurately matches the course content.Teaching Children with SpLD
- I loved the course. Not a moment of it was wasted on me and I enjoyed the intensity.Managing the Role of the SENCo
- Excellent training which is tailored to the independent sector and the opportunity to meet colleagues doing the job of SENCo in different schools.Managing the Role of the SENCo
- I would have no hesitation in recommending the event to colleagues.Able Gifted and Talented Conference
- Glynis is an excellent lecturer. Her ability to convey the depth of her knowledge is superb.Teaching Children with SpLD
- I have never been on courses that are as well prepared and personalised to delegates needs as Fils. I am very impressed with Learning Works.SEN Policy Writing
- Truly inspirational - Tandi explains the maths topics so clearly and demonstrates everything with ease. Maths really does make sense when she teachesOvercoming Barriers to Learning in Maths
- It was really great to be given the time to actually discuss our assignments and be given immediate feedbackOvercoming Barriers to Learning in Maths
- I really enjoyed working with Learning Works - I've had six bookings from teachers at the event so I'm very happy! Brian Moses, Performance Poet at the 3rd English conferenceTeachers of English Conference
- It’s good to be on the receiving end of learning something new for a changeNational Dyscalculia & MLD Conference
- I would highly recommend this conference. The positivity and enthusiasm of those presenting and other delegates was great. I can’t wait to try out some of the new ideas with my students.National Dyscalculia & MLD Conference